Opening The Blue Coat School to the public for previous nationally-organised Heritage Open Days has been so successful that the event is being doubled to two weekends this autumn.
Also new this year will be mini-recitals played on the School’s rare, museum-quality 1874-built Father Willis Pipe organ, in Shirley Hall, which started life in our original city centre Blue Coat building. It will help publicise the crucially-needed restoration of the Father Willis organ, which is part of our Heritage Lottery Fund Blue Coat For All project. For the first time, informal illustrated talks on the School’s history will be given by Peter Elson and Keith Caulkin, of the Development Office.
The School will be open to the public on Saturdays 8th and 15th and Sundays 9th 16th September 2018, for Heritage Open Days, England’s biggest festival of history and culture, which is run locally in association with the Wavertree Society.
Already Blue Coat Sixth Form students have been recruited to deliver tour guides and it is hoped that more than 500 visitors will take this rare opportunity to see inside, with 250 people touring the building last year over the course of two days.
The School, which is Heritage England Grade II*, has been a local landmark since opening in 1906, with its dominating clock tower and fine English Renaissance architectural style designed by Briggs, Wolstenholme, Hobbs & Thornley, who also created the Port of Liverpool Building, Pier Head (one of the ‘Three Graces’). Historic features include the elegant Foundation Boardroom and the beautiful domed Fenwick-Harrison Memorial Chapel.
Regular 45 minute tours will run during opening times of 11.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. (no booking required, but please note our last tour is 3.00 p.m.)
For further details please contact the Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0151 733 1407 ext. 207