The Foundation is the charitable arm of The Blue Coat School.
Our objects, in the following order of priority, are:
- The provision of items, services and facilities for The Blue Coat School;
- The promotion of education of individuals attending the School who are in need; and
- The promotion of education of former pupils from the School who are in need.
The Foundation has two key roles regarding its estate and buildings. Firstly, to support the school in continuously upgrading its facilities to provide a 21st century learning environment for its students and secondly, to maintain its significant and important cultural heritage – comprising its Grade II* listed buildings.
As well as contributing to the School, we look after a number of funds which have their own aims, such as the M L Cobb Awards which were established with a legacy gift, and supports former students in need, and The Late Sir Alan Tod Travel Scholarship Fund which provides funding to enable students to travel abroad.
Promoting Our Heritage
Our heritage is hugely important to us. Our buildings on Church Road were built between 1903 and 1906 by notable architects Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornley and to this day the School remains a building of national architectural and historic interest. We are proud of our Grade II* Listed Status, which marks the building among the top 8% of all Listed Buildings nationally.
The outstanding architectural value of the School is reflected in the words of architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner, who described the School as;
“Without doubt the most impressive building in Wavertree and one of the most impressive half-dozen of its date in Lancashire”.
We are always delighted to open our doors to the local and wider community and every year we welcome the public to visit the school buildings as part of the national Heritage Open Days.